Recipe created by the chefs of La Maison De L'Excellence Savencia®
Servings: Makes 4 Soups
Keywords: Parisian Gratin with Onions, Gratins, Onion Gratins, Elle & Vire Butter, Elle & Vire Unsalted Butter, Elle & Vire Emmental
- 800g mild white onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 100g Elle & Vire® Unsalted Gourmet Butter
- 30g flour
- 100g dry white wine
- 1500g beef stock if possible; otherwise chicken consommé
- Salt and pepper
- 4 toasted farmhouse bread slices
- 200g Elle & Vire Professionnel® Emmental from France Grated
- A few sprigs of finely chopped chives
- Slice the onions finely and brown them in butter on a low heat.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook gently for 3-4 minutes. Add dry white wine and reduce by half. Add the chicken or beef stock. Season and cook on a low heat for around 2 hours. Season to taste.
Making the Gratin
- Put the soup into four bowls or a large soup tureen. Place the slices of toasted bread. Sprinkle on a generous amount of grated Emmental.
- Brown under the grill or salamander. Sprinkle the chives. Serve immediately.