Recipe created and prepared by graduates of Institut Paul Bocuse – Promotion 2016.
Servings: Makes 10 spoons
Keywords: Tzatziki Spoon
- 200g cucumbers
- 125g rice vinegar
- Zest of a lemon
- 80g sugar
- 100g Elle & Vire® Sublime Cream with mascarpone
- 50g yuzu juice
- 5g lemon juice
- 150g chopped fresh mint
- 4g xanthan gum
- Salt and pepper
- 100g cucumber juice (juiced cucumber peel)
- 3g agar agar
- Zest of a lemon
- 30g water
- 40g sugar
- 10 mint leaves
- Bring the rice vinegar, sugar and zests to boil. Place in the blast chiller and then store in the fridge.
- Use a meat slicer to slice the cucumber (adjusted to no. 6 thickness). Keep the trimmings, peel, marinade and cucumber. Vacuum pack twice to remove the gas and compress the cucumber. Leave to marinade in the vacuum pack for 30 minutes.
- Drain, pat dry and cut out using a plain round no. 35 cutter, then remove the centre using a 1.2cm diameter cutter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the yuzu juice and the mint leaves with the Sublime cream.
- Season with salt and pepper. Whisk and incorporate the xanthan gum.
- Pipe this cream into a Flexipan half sphere mould and freeze in the blast chiller.
- Filter the cucumber juice, then heat and thicken using 3g of the agar agar per 100g of cucumber juice.
- Pour the jelly onto a baking sheet to a thickness of about 2cm, set in the blast freezer and then cut out the disks using the no. 30 cutter.
- Bring the sugar and water to boil. Gently candy the zests in the syrup until translucent.
- Cut the cucumber peel to a 0.3cm x 0.3cm brunoise, blanch, refresh, drain and pat dry.
Assembly and Decoration
- Arrange a slice of cucumber in the base of each Chinese spoon. Top with a half-dome shape of yuzu cream. Place a jelly disk on top.
- Decorate with five tiny cubes of cucumber peel, a hint of candied lemon and mint